The Global Engineering Project Management department is responsible for delivery of capital projects. The Automation Engineer will provide technical support to projects and operations under the direction of the Automation Manager. Works with manufacturing, quality and facilities groups to assist with commissioning, qualification, and licensing of the facility. Responsible for supporting existing and new PLC systems and applications in the manufacturing facility. The position will also be responsible for the support of operator interface systems and application programming. The Automation Engineer will work in an office setting and in an active GMP manufacturing site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Development and programming of PLC software and PID control loops
- Implementation and maintenance for the integrity of a software backup and control program
- Advanced Motor controls programming and maintenance – VFDs & DC drives
- Ethernet networks monitoring, device replacement, and configuration
- Automation server monitoring, maintenance, and deployment.
- Assist / lead training and development of other facility departments in automation discipline.
- Support change control, CAPA execution by timely completion of tasks.
- Participate in non-conformance investigations as lead investigator or as member of investigation team.
- Provide on-call support.
- High school with 10+ years experience.
- ≥ 10 years with experience in a regulated manufacturing environment (e.g. FDA).
- Advanced Training / Certifications on PLC systems and HMIs with emphasis on Allen Bradley and Wonderware systems
- Troubleshooting skills with automation systems, ladder logic programming experience, and experience with SCADA systems
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry is a must.
- An advanced working knowledge of electronic theory and its application
- Advanced Control Network Design, Implementation and Maintenance – DH Network, DeviceNet, ControlNet, and Foundation Fieldbus
- Digital Electronic Displays and Instrumentation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a team-focused environment, excellent GDP.
- Proficient in computer skills and MS Office application.
- Ability to read and understand P&ID’s.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere closely to all company Standard Operating Procedures at all times, adhere to schedules, interface in a constructive manner with all vendors, contractors, associates, peers and managers.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- High, requiring knowledge of multiple technical disciplines and interaction with multiple departments.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving multiple variables in non-standardized situations.